A descriptive essay shows a student’s ability to produce a written version of their experience. Many students want to learn how to write a descriptive essay as it provides them with the artistic freedom that they desire.
Descriptive essays are considered to be the simplest form of academic essays, where students just have to describe their sensory observations of a subject. There are no details or proof required while writing a descriptive essay; students can just summarize what they see, hear, smell, or taste about their topic. A good descriptive essay brings a subject to life by painting a vivid and moving picture in the reader’s mind.
Step-By-Step Guide To Descriptive Essay Writing
Experienced writers know that good writing is created in stages. That is why it is important for students to follow the essay writing process. This step-by-step process will help you even if you are a student who is still wondering, “what is a descriptive essay?”
Here’s the step-by-step process on how to start a descriptive essay:
- Choosing a topic: Students can choose to describe a person, object, or place of significance in their lives like a mother, favorite gadget, or a picnic spot. The Internet can provide students with many descriptive essay ideas to give them a good starting point.
- Brainstorming the details: After you’ve chosen the essay topic, you should brainstorm the characteristics of your topic. Think about its significance in your life and your feelings associated with it. Also, think about the physical side of things, such as the surroundings, where the place is located, where a person lives, etc.… Dig through your memories and emotions associated with the topic.
- Writing the thesis statement: It’s important to learn how to write a thesis for a descriptive essay. Your thesis statement should be 1 – 2 sentences long and to the point. For narrow topics, you can just write a simple sentence describing the topic. However, if your topic is broad, you should write a thesis statement that describes not only your topic but also your argument.
- Creating an outline: To write your descriptive essay comfortably, you must create an outline. Think about the descriptive essay format and plan ahead by writing a sentence or two for each paragraph. These sentences should give you a good idea about what you are going to write in each paragraph.
- Writing the initial draft: Now, you can start writing your initial draft from the outline that you created previously. For descriptive essays, always remember to give a rich experience of the subject to your readers. Use all of your senses and try painting a picture in your reader’s mind instead of simply narrating a story. You should write in a way that the reader can actually feel what you are feeling, see what you are seeing, and hear what you hear through your writing.
- Revising the essay: Your initial draft now requires a few modifications and reorganization. In this step, students should aim to make their essay the best it can be. Reread what you have read, and find out whether your essay sounds exactly how you wanted. Check whether the paragraphs make sense and connect well with each other. Also, check your word choice, and if you have used all your senses to describe the subject.
- Editing the essay: Here, you will get rid of all the grammar, spelling and syntax-related errors from your essay. By using interesting syntax, you can make your essay more appealing to your readers.
- Submitting the essay: Finally, you can submit your essay. If you feel a little anxious about your work, don’t worry because almost everyone feels the same way. As long as you’ve followed the essay writing process, there’s not much to worry about. Also, don’t get upset if your professor finds some mistakes in your work. Take it as an opportunity to make your next essay even better.
How To Write A Descriptive Essay About A Person
When writing a descriptive essay about a person, students need to describe not only the person’s appearance, but also his behavior, temper, and overall character. You can choose to write about someone close to you, but it will be better to write about someone you admire or a historical personality.
Start by describing the appearance, as that is the first thing anyone notices about a person. Then describe the clothes, face, complexion, hair, physique, etc.… You can also describe the acts and behavior like whether the person likes to drink, loses temper, shows kindness towards others, and so on.
Describing your subject’s character can be difficult, and so you may need to dig deep to get that information. Finally, you can describe the emotional side of the person. For this, you may need to find special videos and text in which the person shares their true feelings about a person or an event.
If you’re still wondering how do you write a descriptive essay, you should check out a descriptive essay sample on the Internet before starting the essay writing process. There are many samples on the Internet, which will eliminate confusion and show you how to approach a descriptive essay.
Writing A Descriptive Essay About A Place
If you don’t know how to write a descriptive essay about a place, you can simply start by describing the location of the place. Before describing the main scenery, you can summarize the surroundings in order to make the place stand out.
It is important to notice even the smallest details about the place to make your essay interesting. In the body paragraphs, you should describe the place through your senses. Write down what you see, hear, taste, or feel about the place. Your writing should be successful at creating a mental picture in the reader’s head.
After you have explained the place intensively, it is time to expand on those feelings before you conclude your essay. In conclusion, you should restate your main idea and describe why the place has such an important significance in your life. Finally, you can end your essay by reviewing the most important things that connect you to that place, and why it is so important to you.
Example Topics For A Descriptive Essay
Here are a few descriptive essay topics to give you a good starting point:
- A family member
- A best friend
- A teacher
- A stranger
- A historical personality
- A garden
- A room
- A beach
- A house
- A picnic spot
- A painting
- A new car
- A souvenir
- A musical instrument
- A plant